– 10 slices white bread
– 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
– 12 ounces frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, chopped
– 1/2 cup shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
– 1/3 cup mayonnaise
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Tear enough of the bread trimmings into fine crumbs to measure ½ cup crumbs; set aside.
– In a small bowl, mix butter and thyme; brush evenly onto bread cutouts. Place in single layer on baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
– Meanwhile, mix reserved bread crumbs with shrimp, cheese, mayonnaise, and salt. Spread evenly onto toast cutouts. Broil an additional 8 to 10 min or until hot and bubbly.
Canapés are finger foods, ideal for parties or afternoon noshing. Serve them with similar finger foods like cookies, muffins, and mini phyllo pastries. Depending on your other courses, you may feel more inclined to enjoy this with either a red or white wine. Choose either and you won’t be disappointed.